Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Unfriending Facebook

Do you remember those days of MySpace when you'd unknowingly be friends with some guy named 'Tom'? You know, that guy that supposedly owned the company but that you had to be friends with? I unfriended that guy. Or unliked ... or whatever it was called on MySpace.

Yesterday I unfriended Facebook.

It's a lot less dramatic than it sounds. Or maybe it's more dramatic. I could say that (temporarily) deleting my Facebook account is so I can learn to be more productive or be on the computer less frequently -- but that's hardly it. I wish it was. Those are admirable reasons ... and they are partly true. I really should be spending less time online and a little more time with my friends and frenemies, Treadmill, Homework, Beach, and Sun. But the truth is, I've been online just about as much, just not on Facebook.

The real reason is, I've just become a little too sensitive. I've always been oversensitive. I have always had a hard time controlling my negative thoughts towards others, and I constantly overanalyze what others probably aren't thinking about or saying to me. This was exponentially increased on Facebook. (I've actually noticed I am less stressed in the 30 hours or so since I unfriended Facebook.) I've noticed more and more that snarky comments and miscommunication is an epidemic on Facebook, and something in which I get far too involved, enough to let it ruin my day sometimes.

The other half of the reason is my over-transparency. While I think it's fun to share random things like, "Ugh I hate doing the dishes," too many of my more personal thoughts have been shared in a flippant, hit-and-run kind of way (part of which can be solved with a blog). I also, since coming off from Facebook, have thought of random things and start to reach for my phone to post a new status... and when that obviously doesn't happen, I realize how mundane and silly my new 'status' would have been anyway.

I thought I'd try a thought experiment. I haven't really decided how long it will last, but here's my general idea. I'm starting to keep a journal of things I would have posted on Facebook. Then, I'll let the thoughts marinate in the pages of rationality for a while and decide if it really was something worthy of letting over 300 people in on (let's be honest - most of us probably consistently talk to 10% or fewer of those on our friends list).

I'm also going to, in the meantime, spend a little bit of time in the real world remembering what it was like when communication was easier to decipher -- you know, when people used facial expressions, real smiles, and sarcasm and jokes were heard and not read with black text on white background in already hostile territory.

Maybe it's just me. Maybe I'm the only one who has this oversensitivity, over-sharing, overanalyzing, obsessive problem. I doubt it. I'm not asking you to delete your Facebook too... but, if you are willing to admit you're even a bit like me, maybe you can try the journal/thought experiment too. I'm actually excited about it. It will be interesting to reexamine my thoughts before posting them permanently on the internet. You may also try writing your about-to-be snarky comments down too before posting them ;)

Now you may be wondering, "Why is blogging any different? It's just as public." Yes. It is. But I've blogged before, and while I could get 10 comments in ten minutes on a status on Facebook that said, "I got my hair trimmed today," my blogs were commented on only by those who actually cared to brave their way through several paragraphs. I also like that blogging takes time. There's no such thing as a quick 8 paragraph essay, but there sure are a lot of quickly posted big-time-mistake 8 word statuses ("I think people who like [politician] are stupid.") It also gives the writer an opportunity to explain what they mean, and the reader a little more time to think about what they're commenting, since you generally have to go to another page, type out the comment, sign into google or some other various network, type out the word in the captcha, then actually click 'POST'... as opposed to typing, 'I think you're an idiot' then accidentally pressing the enter on our keyboard before we have deleted what we never meant to actually post! Ok, perhaps that was a little bit of an exaggeration, but I digress :)

Anyway, please know that I don't feel superior to anyone for having taken myself off of Facebook. I actually do see the merit in using Facebook, as it allowed me to be connected with my grandma, aunts, cousins, and random friends from my old hometown that I may otherwise have not been connected with. It also helped keep me up-to-date on campaigns and news. But I know that for me, at this time, Facebook isn't for me. And I'll stress that this is temporary, but I just don't know how temporary. It may be a week, or it might be much, much longer. Given the relief from stress I've felt shows just how unhealthily emotionally invested I was ... and I may require a longer break than some of you (I know a day or two is good enough for most people!)

All right, I apologize for the long post. If anyone reads this, let me know if you've accepted the journal challenge, and your progress. Good luck!


Just as a point of interest, here's an essay I found with a few other, supporting reasons not to be on Facebook ...
"If you are not paying for it, you're not the customer; you're the product being sold."

4 comments:

  1. I am sorry to not see you on Facebook, but I can certainly understand your reasons.
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It will definitely take some getting used to not being quite so connected ... but I think it will also be good for a while. I hope to still see you around here and email in the meantime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yesterday while Stephen and I were on a date he asked me if I saw your status about deleting your Facebook. I said "Yes" and we started talking about how both of us wanted to do the same thing but had our reasons not to. I know exactly how you feel. I think I might take the challenge. The hard part is the fact that it's the only way I seem to keep in touch with my family and certain friends.(I feel a rant coming on...lol) I notice when I ask certain questions on my status or say certain things that there are people who start to get a little too intense and serious as I planned. I ask a simple question and things start going nuts. Anyway, I don't want this comment to turn into a rant on your comments. I just want t let you know that I support you entirely in your decision to do this and it has empowered me to consider the same thing. I realize I don't write on ym blog as much anymore because all my "news and events" are on my status on Facebook. It's just not as much fun as (like you said) writing a whole nice description and blog post about it. I do miss the "Real World" out there. I bet I could do a lot more if I actually get away from the computer. =)

    P.S. We drove by Skewers yesterday. "Shicka Shicka Shicka" LOL!!!

    Luv Ya Elizabeth <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I totally understand not wanting to get off FB entirely. That place is like a mecca for those of us who need communication:) I totally understand the connection thing, too, because my grandma is on there, and my cousin, Jessica (who has slowly become my best friend thanks to frequent communication mostly through Facebook), not to mention all my friends from Mo-town :) My reasons are probably something you don't deal with too much which is mostly just that I find mySELF pissed off so much. I find reasons to scorn people, to argue, to be upset... and it ends up being something that can make my day (if everyone 'liked' my witty comment) or that can totally ruin it (if I got into an argument with someone that ended up being a little too personal). I think I definitely have a problem with my heart and mind being affected like that WAY too much, and after praying about it for a while, I just feel like God is telling me to take a chill pill for a while; a sabbatical of sorts :)

    Anyway, if you do try it, I think you'll enjoy it. Partly because, even if you do end up writing everything that you wrote in your journal still on Facebook, it's a record of thoughts that we really don't get from posting online. What I mean is, I wasn't writing in my journal or on my blog at all what I was thinking and writing on Facebook, and now, if I ever want to know what July 2, 2010 felt like again, I'd have to scroll back months and months on Facebook. It's also fun just to be a little less impulsive and realize what I was ACTUALLY saying before saying it :) Let me know how it goes if you end up doing it!

    ReplyDelete