Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Different Kind of Family History

Some of my friends and family are really into family history and lineage. My cousin's wife in Minnesota has been working hard with ancestry lately, and has gotten back a couple hundred years. Another friend of mine knows someone who has their family history traced back to the 800's (if you can believe it.)

I have to be honest that family lineage doesn't interest me much. While of course I'd love to know whether or not I was related to Marie Antoinette, I'm just not interested in doing the time and research required to find out these stories. I am however, interested in preserving a piece of my and Paul's life for my children, grandchildren, and so on.

I posted a few months ago on Facebook about my Recipe Scrapbook I've been working on. My mother-in-law gave me a scrapbooking kit she'd found on Amazon, and I've LOVED working on it. The biggest challenge has been finding stickers and decals that go along with recipe/kitchen scrapbooking, since it isn't, surprisingly, a very popular topic. After months of searching (even online and at a scrapbooking store in MN), I finally found some cute recipe stickers at Michaels! Yay! Back on track!

I've already done 28 recipes in the book and have come across a new challenge -- what to scrapbook next? I'm running out of ideas because I don't want to scrapbook something unless I know it's something we like well enough to make again; I'm not scrapbooking things I've never tried. I am, however, putting in simple meal ideas as well as tips for quicker healthy eating (such as my fruity tip article posted on A Healthy Wait) because I know even those things will be (and already are!) valuable to me later on when I can't think of what to cook in a pinch.

I think what I love most about scrapbooking these recipes is it's such a window into our life. As the years go by, it's a journal of our favorite foods and tastes. I'm able to add little tidbits and tips from me, but also from my sister, my grandma, my mom, and many of my friends, that my children can someday pass on to their own children, hopefully after having added their own input and recipes.

One tip I'd like to share with scrapbooking is that you MUST have cute fonts (unless you're planning on handwriting everything, but if you're like me, you probably don't like your own handwriting enough to look at it for years to come!) I get free, adorable fonts here, and they are easy to download and install. Just find your favorite one, click download, then unzip the file and drag it into your font book. (Of course, these are instructions for a Mac, so it might be slightly different on a PC, although I'm sure it is explained at the site.) The cute fonts are a must because... well, Times New Roman just gets boring sometimes, and I am sick of the common fonts on Microsoft Word! Also, you can make your own cute decals and sayings by looking up the quote and printing them out in cute colors!

I thought I would share a few of my favorite pages and the basic look of it (The non-recipe pages that denote the following type of recipe came with the scrapbooking kit, as did the blank page in the front: about 15 kitchen/recipe pages as well as 2-3 pages of stickers/decals come with the kit. Please note I only posted one picture of the separator pages and no pictures of any of the stickers that came with the kit) as well as post the link to where you can get your own recipe scrapbook kit. Enjoy!






(**Note: Please click on pictures to view full-size)

5 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! You make scrapbooking look so easy! Your book looks amazing and I'm sure your kids, grand-kids, and so on will enjoy it more than you know. I remember when I wanted to start scrapbooking a recipe book and I couldn't find ANYTHING pertaining to cooking or baking. Don't tell me I need to travel out of state to find something... lol.

    I also understand about genealogy. It's interesting, but researching can be a chore and to me sometimes boring. However, it's fun to learn little things here and there through family members. I learned that I had some relatives killed by Indians, a lot of surgeons, some were hung at the Salem witch trials, and somehow I am related to George Washington I think. HAHA!

    Oh and yes, I do want my own! Someday I'll get started on a recipe book. ;-)There are many other things I need/want to scrapbook first though I think...(wedding, derrick, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason I'll encourage you to start doing this now (as opposed to waiting until you're done with your other projects) is because it can totally be an ongoing project. Do one a month even! No pressure to get it done either, because it's not really something you'll necessarily forget as time goes on since it's ongoing in your life too :) It IS super fun. I think that you probably can find good kitchen/recipe scrapbook stuff at Michaels and other stores but that I just hadn't been really looking hard enough at real scrapbooking places (other than that one I went to in MN, which, I honestly was surprised barely had ANYthing.)

    Yeah the genealogy stuff would definitely be interesting if it wasn't such hard work! On top of everything else I do for school, the timing just isn't right for me! lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very good point there. I guess there's no excuse for me to dilly dally now!! It's time for Robyn to pull out the supplies. It's just a matter of where I have space(this is another reason a house is going to be so great. I get to have my own crafting space)to work on it. I do have a huge dining room table, but we use it to eat on (well...not as of late lol). Oh well I'll figure out something and get things started.

    There were a couple of Scrapbooking stores in Modesto, but because of the economy they had to CLOSE! And now another place I love for paper is "closing" to pursue their invitation etc. line of work. ARGH!

    Ok...why is "scrapbooking" not a word, but "scrapbook" is? When I type "scrapbooking" it comes up as misspelled. Annoying...lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robyn, scrapbook is a noun, but scrapbooking is not a legitimate verb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. scrapbook |ˈskrapˌboŏk|
    noun
    a book of blank pages for sticking clippings, drawings, or pictures in.

    verb [ intrans. ]
    [usually as n. ] ( scrapbooking) to create scrapbooks as a hobby.

    Please, no anonymous grammar nazis here. If you want to be particular, be honest about who you are, as well. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete