Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Hard Part

Blogging is fun; it's easy. I like designing the templates and figuring out the fonts. I like picking new colors, I like picking new gadgets. I like the writing part too, as an outlet, if I can think of a topic.

The hard part is picking a name. I easily spent fifteen minutes thinking of cheesy things I could call the blog.

Just a Few Thoughts From Me

Thoughts of a Lonely Girl

My New Adventure

Alternatives to Facebook

Random Thoughts

Meandering Thoughts

I could go on. But let's be honest. Some of these sound like they're thought up by a fourteen year old!

I decided on Thought Renaissance for a few reasons. First of all, as I explained in my original post, Unfriending Facebook, I'm taking some time to reevaluate the time and energy I spend on social networks. (As a sidenote, I actually don't consider this a 'social network' because, though the same people can read what I'm writing, I happen to know from experience that people generally don't care what you have to say if it's more than a few sentences long.) In that reevaluation, I'm doing a Renaissance of sorts to help me a) remember what it was like to write non-school essays with capital letters and full sentences, b) to help me be interested in other outlets, creative and otherwise, that are not necessarily self-esteem driven (I rarely if ever, get comments on my blogs), and c) writing in short random thoughts have not helped me really define, interpret, and enumerate my goals as well as I have done in the past. 

The second reason has to do with the fact that I am a history major and the definition of Renaissance is

A revival or renewed interest in something. 
Rebirth, reawakening, renewal, resurrection.

Renaissance has long meant a time of creativity and intelligence that surged in the people to allow new interest in arts, education, politics, and religion. All of these things are things we all could use more of in our lives. Besides that, I like the idea of starting over, of fresh beginnings.

Anyway, though this certainly may have been another pointless post, at least I took the time to write creatively with a little more thought than a one line status on Facebook:

I need to spend more time figuring out my goals.
Like         Comment

What can you do to be creative today?

3 comments:

  1. I love the blog title you chose. It really is, honestly, so you. I looked at your other options and would agree that they seemed a little "young" for someone like you. It was also nice to get a little history lesson. I have forgotten what Renaissance really meant. Shows how much I paid attention in High School.

    I've been giving your little question at the end some thought. I think I have given it too much thought. Do you mean; "What can you do to be creative today?" like a project or activity? Or are you talking about a goal of some sort today? Or goals in general? Or is it whatever I want it to be? Haha! Did I over-think it? LOL!

    Also not sure if you really want us to answer that question in a comment to you or just something to think about on our own for the day. =) Let me know because if you want us to answer the question I surely have no problem. If not then I really like that you have given me something to think about and consider for the day. It really puts things in perspective. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure, I'd LOVE for you to comment and let me know what you choose to do or did. I think what I meant is, how can you express yourself today in a non hit-and-run kind of way like Facebook is? Whether that's taking the time to write your own blog post, or write in your journal, or even taking a walk outside with no ipod, alone with your thoughts and observations. I think we all just have the tendency (especially people like you and I who are admittedly on the computer a LOT) to forget that there is SO much more out there, and that we are more creative than we think we are. I honestly believe that there is the potential for people like Michelangelo, Mozart, da Vinci again ... but that we are hidden and held back by our use of things like Facebook, and even computers in general (not that I would ever have the skill to be compared with one of them!!! :))

    So whether you decide to do any of those things, or even read a new book, or paint a picture, or scrapbook, or write a short story, just be creative in however you want to express yourself :) (And again, I'd love to hear about it!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you'd like to hear about it go to my blog and read my latest post. :)

    http://theandersonfamilyadventures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete